Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Lovely, Lovely Resume

For some reason the blog was trying to post in Hindi. Strange, because I don't know Hindi.

Anyway, I have been working on my resume today, and debating whether to include the fast food restaurant job that I only held for a month. My reason for leaving was good enough, as almost all of my coworkers were either doing drugs on the job, or selling them. It wasn't a good work environment, to say the least. How in the world am I going to explain that on a job interview?

I then realized that a lot of my jobs only lasted a few months. I had to leave one of my English teaching jobs in Guatemala after my pastor student proposed to me (repeatedly.) My bosses were not backing me up on that issue, and I just could not continue working there. Also, they never wanted to pay me. They either conveniently didn't have change for a large bill when pay day came around, or they told me a sob story about how they are doing so many good works for the public, and couldn't I just accept partial payment for my work? I was an American after all. What American isn't just loaded with cash? Given that I was working three jobs at that time to pay for my room and board in a local home, I couldn't take a pay cut. I had $25,000 of loans coming due for college, and was pretty strapped for cash. I know how hard it is to make ends meet in Guatemala, and I don't begrudge their efforts to save some money. I just wish they could understand that not all Americans have a lot of money readily available.

Both of these jobs were infinitely interesting, and I wouldn't have missed the experiences for the world.

No comments: