Saturday, February 6, 2010

IRA

I've been planning and saving for a Vanguard Target Date IRA. Call me a geek, but I love planning financial matters. I know that I am far too young to be seen seeking out a banker to discuss the differences between traditional and Roth IRAs, but now is the best time for me to consider retirement.

Not only will the compound interest definitely work in my favor, but by saving now, I give my money just that much longer to grow. I don't want to be one of those people who waits to save for retirement until they're in their thirties, and then struggles for years to catch up. I want to slowly build my retirement fund, squirreling away money as my (somewhat tight) budget permits.

Now if I only had the $3,000 to start an account.

I really wish that an investment firm would offer a comprehensive IRA for those of us who don't have that much money starting out. I can't be the only one in this boat---aren't there just hundreds of thousands of new college graduates who earn very little? Surely there are others who want to save for retirement, but don't know how, or can't find a good retirement account.

If only they advertised.

No comments: