I just got an e-mail from English First in China that my application has been processed, and I am to contact the local staff at the academy to arrange for my visa and flight. Wow. I didn't expect that it would go through so fast. The question is, should I go?
I've been applying to tons of Americorps programs in the States, and two look like sure shots. One is in Juneau, Alaska, wish would be awesome. Should I stay here and pay down my student loans, or go to China?
I really want to travel. I enjoy the thrill of terror of being in an absolutely foreign environment, and I love getting a first hand view of how different societies operate. I deeply enjoy learning the other side of the story about US interactions and local sentiment about Americans. It's really intriguing to me.
At the same time, this is just all happening so fast. I just want to slow it down a little, until I can look at all my options.
Besides, if I go to China, I want to make a difference, not just teach the outrageously rich. There are other opportunities through my old college that I can join next year. I can help teach in a university. However, this opportunity is now, and working with kids.
I just can't decide.